Pantheon Introduces €5 Entry Fee for Tourists from July 1st

Starting from July 1st, there will be a small €5 entry fee, as confirmed by Italy’s culture minister, Gennaro Sangiuliano but it’s all for a good cause!

Sangiuliano explained that the revenue from these tickets will be used to provide food for those in need and carry out much-needed restoration work on the monument.

Oh, and here’s something cool: the rear part of the site will be transformed into a museum. So, you’ll not only get to explore this incredible historical site but also experience some fascinating exhibits.

Now, let’s talk about who’s exempt from the fee.

If you’re a resident of Rome, attending a religious service, or under 18, you can still enjoy free access to the Pantheon. And if you’re aged 25 or younger, the entry fee is reduced to just €2.

The agreement between the culture ministry and church authorities in Rome outlines that 70% of the ticket sales will support the culture ministry, while the remaining 30% will go to the diocese of Rome. It’s a way to share the benefits and ensure the preservation of this historic landmark.

Until now, the Pantheon has been freely accessible as a place of worship, following the tradition of not charging entry fees for churches in the Rome vicariate. But with its popularity reaching new heights—9.3 million visitors in 2019 alone.

This small fee implementation will help manage the influx of tourists and secure the monument’s preservation.

The Pantheon

Step into a world of wonder at the Pantheon in Rome, a place that has amazed people for ages. This incredible building used to be a Roman temple, but it later became a Christian church. Now, it’s a symbol of Rome’s rich history and a must-see destination for travellers.

Picture this: a magnificent dome with a hole in the top that lets sunlight stream in, creating a magical atmosphere inside. As you enter, you’ll be greeted by stunning marble decorations and impressive statues. It’s no wonder the Pantheon is Italy’s most popular spot, attracting millions of visitors every year.

The Pantheon has a fascinating story to tell. Imagine the ancient gods being worshipped here, and then centuries later, it transformed into a Christian place of worship.

The Pantheon stands as a reminder of the architectural brilliance of the Roman Empire and the enduring legacy of ancient civilizations. Its walls echo with stories of emperors, artists, and worshippers who have passed through its grand doors.

A visit to the Pantheon offers a unique opportunity to immerse oneself in the splendour of the past and appreciate the remarkable craftsmanship that has stood the test of time.

Laine Alcantara | Travel Content Creator