Dark Past of London Walking Tour | Semi Private
On your Livtours Dark Past of London Walking Tour, join a local and stroll through London’s darker side and discover tales of murder and misery in the capital. Wander through the dim dingy and narrow alleyways of the East End stopping for a pint in a traditional London pub. London’s iconic East End is home to some of the most infamous Londoners real and fictitious. Now a cosmopolitan and hip neighborhood, it was once described as the “Hell of Poverty” a foggy and filthy stain on the face of the capital of England where the police dared not go. lying in the shadows of Saint Paul’s this former gigantic slum is now one of the trendiest and multinational parts of the city with a small group tour of less than 6. Join a Londoner and explore the people that make this iconic neighborhood so fascinating and the grim and grisly past they endured.
Uncover tales of the Black Death, and find where some of the largest Plague Pits in Europe were located, follow the footsteps of Jack the Ripper and unearth London in times of famine, war, and superstition. This walking tour will get you off-the-beaten-path and reveal the fascinating dark heart of London city that most tour guides never speak about. Follow your local guide around London’s East end for a gothic glimpse into London’s dark past. Visit an area full of historic murder locations, ww2 bombsights, neighborhoods once terrorized by gangs, stopping halfway for a pint in one of the East Ends most infamous pubs. Your 2.5-hour evening stroll tour takes you around the East End, a trendy and young area once famed for poverty, sin, and salacious behavior, a den of vice and villainy, immortalized, and glamorized in pop culture and film.
- Travel back in time with an expert guide to a world of murder & misery
- Explore London's eccletic East End stopping for a beer in a real London pub
- Follow in the footsteps of murderers, gangsters, villians and heros of old
- Learn more about the East Enders, Londons most famous Londoners
- Follow an expert guide on the trail of plague, war, fire and murder
- Enjoy the stories and anecdotes with a maximum of 6 people in your group
Semi-Private tours and experiences are guaranteed six participants max.
Our prices always include tickets and reservations fees (no waiting in lines!)
Our tour guides and staff are selected experts and speak perfect English
Easy to book and prepay your tours with our secure payment system
Eco-sustainable tourism, designed to respect and support local culture, art and traditions
Your Livtours Semi-Private Dark Past of London Walking Tour will take you around the characterful East End. A neighborhood so distinct from the rest of the city, it has its own secret language, created by the market traders and criminal gangs of this poverty-stricken former slum. From its origins as a sewer ditch to the stinking city London, the East End became a dumping ground for new groups of immigrants shunned by the city, who formed their own unique identity, producing some of the most famous Londoners’ fictitious and real from Jack the Ripper, The Kray Twins, Oliver Twist to Michael Cane. Just outside the ancient city walls this area was unpoliced, unregulated, and left to rot. Gangs patrolled the dimly lit streets and murderers prowled the prostitute ridden alleyways and alehouses.
Start your tour by central Liverpool street station and wind through hundreds of years of London’s real history, far away from the glitz and glamour of the west end. Learn how the poorest underclass was forced to live while London was the capital of the wealthiest empire in the world. Hear real-life stories of horror and destruction as thousands of bombs fell on the industrial heartland of the city. Imagine what life was like during the greatest outbreak of plague in the city’s history as you stand on the largest plague pit in the country, and cover your eyes as you walk the very streets as London legend Jack the Ripper. With groups of under 6, this atmospheric tour will take you to one of the most exciting and eclectic parts of the city including a visit to a proper London Pub for a local beer to see a slice of the real dark side of London.
- Private walking tour of East End
- Follow Jack the Rippers murderous trail
- Hear stories of WWII blitz
- Learn about Londons plague pits
- A glass of beer in a famous London pub
- Fully guided storytelling tour
- Due to these unprecedented times and ongoing safety and regulation changes, some sites may have limited accessibility if the venue can not guarantee social distancing which may lead to unforeseen tour modifications. Thank you for your understanding.
- LivTours’ group size of max 6 participants is and always has been based on sustainable travel and especially in these new times, we are proud to be at the forefront of the innovation, changes, and challenges that are presented to us during this post-pandemic time. At the moment, due to COVID-19 safety regulations, the museums and sites visited on this tour require wearing a mask while on the site. Please bring one for every participant over 6 years of age.
All LivTours Semi-Private Group Tours are limited to 6 guests per tour guide. Our commitment to maintaining our uniquely tiny group sizes can sometimes be a little tricky, mathematically speaking. For example, we want to ensure that traveling families and friends can tour together so on rare occasions we may add one or two guests in order to not split groups. On that same note, you may also find yourself on tour with less than six people! We thank you for your understanding and flexibility.