Private Tour of Verona | City Highlights Walk
LivTours’ Private Tour of Verona is an exploration of Italy’s “City for Lovers”. Visit the Cappelletti courtyard and its famous Juliet balcony, where lovers still write dedications and messages to the Shakespearean lovers Romeo and Juliet. See the spectacularly intact ancient Roman amphitheater (from the outside) known as the Verona Arena built in the 1st century AD – not to be confused with another ancient Roman theatre built in the 1st century BC, which you will also get a chance to visit! Learn about Verona’s fascinating history in Piazza delle Erbe which boasts frescoes, palaces, and statues that seamlessly blend thousands of years of art and architecture.
Walk in the footsteps of ancient travelers as you pass through the imposing Porta Borsari, the original gate to enter Verona during the Imperial Roman era. Take pictures of Verona’s picturesque Ponte Pietra, or Stone Bridge, first built in 89 BC. Learn about the incredible history throughout so many centuries of this resilient bridge and ancient city. Visit the awe-inspiring Arche Scalighere, the stunning Gothic-style monuments to the Scaligeri family. Discover hidden treasures and local restaurants that are off the beaten path as you wander cobblestone streets with your guide!
- See one of Italy’s best preserved ancient Roman amphitheatres built in 30 AD
- Visit the famous balcony and courtyard dedicated to Shakspeare’s Romeo and Juliet
- Explore Verona with your private, passionate English-speaking guide
- Discover the major highlights and most beautiful landmarks during this 2 hour tour
- Choose among options like the cathedral or Carega district to conclude your journey
Exclusive private Tours and Experiences. Also offered in Spanish, French, Portuguese, Swedish and Russian
Our prices always include tickets and reservations fees (no waiting in lines!)
Our tour guides and staff are selected experts and speak perfect English
Easy to book and prepay your tours with our secure payment system
Eco-sustainable tourism, designed to respect and support local culture, art and traditions
Your LivTours’ Private Tour of Verona begins in Piazza Bra. This lovely square is paved with pink colored Valpolicella marble and is quite literally surrounded by priceless monuments and buildings from Verona’s long and fascinating history. Among the most impressive of these monuments is the ancient open-air Roman amphitheatre known as Verona’s Arena (seen from the outside). Completed in 30 AD, this was once a place where spectators gathered to watch gladiatorial combat. Today it is still in use for cultural events like operas and concerts. Other clues to Verona’s Roman past are sprinkled throughout your tour like the tall, imposing Borsari and Leoni Gates which offer a glimpse into ancient city life. Explore another famous archaeological marvel, the Roman Theater. This site is even older than the Verona Arena. Sit on its steep marble seats and learn about its intriguing history from your knowledgeable guide.
Nearby you will see one of Verona’s most famous landmarks, the Ponte Pietra or Stone Bridge. Offering the perfect panoramic view of Verona, its buildings, and the Adige river, this bridge has an inspiring story of construction, destruction, and reconstruction that spans centuries.
No visit to the City for Lovers would be complete without a walk through the Cappelletti family’s gardens where a statue of Shakespeare’s Juliet stands near a balcony that legends claim her and Romeo once met. Touch the statue of Juliet for good fortune and read the handwritten dedications under her balcony written by thousands of romantic visitors.
In the heart of the Medieval city you will find the Piazza dei Signori, with the crenulated palace of the powerful Scaligeri family and a statue of Dante, the Florentine poet. In Piazza delle Erbe you’ll witness the Scaligeri family tombs – stunning examples of Gothic funerary art and architecture surrounded by strong iron gates. Decide with your guide between a few optional sites to see, such as the cathedral, the artists ateliers of the Carega district, or Castel Vecchio.
Immerse yourself completely in the ancient, the modern, and the romantic side of Verona with a local, English-speaking expert who can’t wait to share it with you!
- Piazza Bra
- Cappelletti courtyard
- Balcony of Juliet
- Ancient Roman Arena (from the outside)
- Piazza delle Erbe
- Porta Borsari
- Ponte Pietra
- Arche Scalighere
- Offered in: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian. Please specify under “Additional notes” if you wish to book the tour in a language other than English.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Please be aware that the holy sites and places of worship have strict dress code regulations, shoulders and knees must be covered in order to enter.
- LivTours’ is and always has been based on sustainable travel and especially in these new times, we are proud to be at the forefront of innovation, change, and challenges that are presented to us during this post-pandemic time. At the moment, due to Covid-19 safety regulations, museums and sites visited on this tour require wearing a mask while on site. Please bring one for every participant over 6 years of age.
- Due to these unprecedented times and ongoing safety and regulation changes, some sites may have limited accessibility if the venue can not guarantee social distancing which may lead to unforeseen tour modifications. Thank you for your understanding.
When you book a LivTours Private Tour or Experience, you are guaranteed a dedicated, expert guide that allows you the flexibility to start your tour at a time which is convenient for you, making planning easy. Our private tours ensure that you will get a tailored experience to meet all your needs so we go at your pace, perfect for families with younger children, elderly, or individuals with accessibility needs. Please be advised that all private tours begin at a base price starting at two people*. Prices are inclusive of entry tickets where applicable.*Our Tuscan motorcycle tour and some Ferrari private experiences are inclusive of one person only.
Verona is amazing
"Verona isn't always on everyone's list of places to visit in Italy but really, it should be! It's a city with history that dates back to ancient Roman times (with the really well preserved Arena), enchanting cobblestone streets and alleyways that open onto beautiful piazzas and colorful buildings. Your imagination goes wild as you imagine the story of Romeo and Juliet in this setting! Our guide Stefano was so knowledgeable and such a great story teller, we were entertained from start to finish. Definitely recommend you visit Verona ...and do it with LivItaly!!"
George M. - USA
By selecting Choose Dates Later / Buy as Gift at booking, any tour can be purchased without fixed dates. This is the perfect option if you want to purchase your tour as a gift for a loved one, or if you are in the pre-planning phase of your vacation. After booking, you will receive a Travel Voucher Code and full instructions on how to schedule your tours when ready. Once your travel plans are confirmed, you can easily use the Travel Voucher Code on the LivTours website to formally schedule your tours. You can find out more here.