Private Catania Tour | City Highlights Walk
LivTours’ Catania Tour is a comprehensive guided exploration of this gorgeous coastal city. Your private guide is a local professional that will share Catania’s fascinating history and sites with you. As you wander through the city’s charming streets and alleys, you’ll hear stories about the city’s rich history, culture, and gastronomical traditions. See the main landmarks such as the Cathedral of St. Agatha, the Ursino Castle, and the ancient Teatro Romano. Learn about important historical figures from Catania like the composer Vincenzo Bellini.
See the labyrinth of botanical gardens at Villa Bellini. Get a feel for the vibrant daily life of the modern city by witnessing the bustling Fish Market and the busy shops of Via Etnea. Watch the plume of smoke as it rises out of the nearby volcano Mt. Etna and hear about how eruptions and earthquakes have shaped Catania’s history and landscape. Admire the Baroque art and architecture of the restored church, Chiesa San Benedetto. This private tour is the perfect opportunity to immerse yourself entirely in this beautiful and impressive city by the sea!
- Discover Sicily’s iconic Catania by foot with a private, English-speaking guide.
- Admire the impressive Baroque architecture that characterizes Catania’s Cathedral.
- Snap pictures of 13th century Ursino’s Castle and learn about the Kingdom of Sicily.
- Go window shopping as you stroll down the famous Via Etnea, with Mt. Etna in view.
- See the Catania Fish Market & observe daily Sicilian life throughout this 2 hour tour
Exclusive private Tours and Experiences. Also offered in Spanish, French, Portuguese, Swedish and Russian
Our prices always include tickets and reservations fees (no waiting in lines!)
Our tour guides and staff are selected experts and speak perfect English
Easy to book and prepay your tours with our secure payment system
Eco-sustainable tourism, designed to respect and support local culture, art and traditions
Your LivTours’ private Catania Tour begins in the city’s lovely historic center. You’ll meet your knowledgeable guide at one of Catania’s most striking landmarks, the Teatro Romano. Built in 300 BC, this wonderful archaeological site was the center of countless spectacles for up to 7,000 people at a time. Your guide will show you the physical markers that point to this ancient theater’s volcanic and seismic past. Explore the neighboring gardens of Villa Bellini. Though breathtaking, learn about how this maze of greenery’s roots are also contributing to the degradation of the remarkable Roman ruins.
Your guide will talk about Catania’s famous composer Vincenzo Bellini, born in 1801. Bellini’s music and bel canto style of opera were incredibly influential to other composers such as Chopin and Wagner.
Walk along the UNESCO recognized street of Via dei Crocifieri, which takes its name for the many Baroque monasteries and convents which line it. Visit the awe-inspiring Baroque church, Chiesa di San Benedetto. Among this restored church’s incredible art are Baroque candle holders dedicated to the city’s Patron Saint, St. Agatha. These, and many other relics are essential parts of the famous Festival of St. Agatha, celebrated annually for centuries.
Your guide will take you to see imposing Ursino’s Castle next. This 13th century castle was first built as the royal castle of the Kingdom of Sicily and then later became the seat of the Sicilian Parliament. Listen to the intriguing political history of Sicily, perfectly represented by this formidable structure.
No tour of Catania would be complete without seeing the symbol of the city, its iconic 12th century Cathedral. Dedicated to St. Agatha, this magnificent church has a fascinating history of destruction and reconstruction over the centuries from volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. Inside you’ll be struck and inspired by the soaring ceilings and Baroque style. See Bellini’s marble tomb inside.
This private tour of Catania is the perfect way of truly immersing yourself in this wonderful city’s culture and history. From its ancient Roman Theater to the lively morning Fish Market, Catania is a city you’ll love to get to know!
- Teatro Romano
- Villa Bellini
- Via dei Crocifieri
- Chiesa di San Benedetto
- Ursino’s Castle
- Catania Cathedral
- Catania Fish Market
- Offered in: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian. Please specify under “Additional notes” if you wish to book the tour in a language other than English.
- Places of worship on this itinerary have strict dress code requirements for entry. All participants are required to have shoulders and knees covered (no tank tops or short dresses) to enter.
- The Cathedral is an active church and on occasion may be closed for liturgical ceremonies.
- LivTours’ is and always has been based on sustainable travel and especially in these new times, we are proud to be at the forefront of innovation, change, and challenges that are presented to us during this post-pandemic time. At the moment, due to Covid-19 safety regulations, you are required to wear a mask for the entire duration of the tour. Please bring one for every participant over 6 years of age.
- Due to these unprecedented times and ongoing safety and regulation changes, some sites may have limited accessibility if the venue can not guarantee social distancing which may lead to unforeseen tour modifications. Thank you for your understanding.
When you book a LivTours Private Tour or Experience, you are guaranteed a dedicated, expert guide that allows you the flexibility to start your tour at a time which is convenient for you, making planning easy. Our private tours ensure that you will get a tailored experience to meet all your needs so we go at your pace, perfect for families with younger children, elderly, or individuals with accessibility needs. Please be advised that all private tours begin at a base price starting at two people*. Prices are inclusive of entry tickets where applicable.
*Our Tuscan motorcycle tour and some Ferrari private experiences are inclusive of one person only.
Make your day even more unique and comfortable by upgrading your tour with a customizable LivTours optional add on!
Covid-19All of our tours and experiences are in compliance with the latest local Covid-19 safety protocols. More information can be found in the voucher you will receive upon booking your tour/s.
Great introduction to Sicily
"We thought this tour was very comprehensive and a great introduction to this Sicilian city. Our local guide was full of information about the history of the city, the importance of its position on the sea, the famous artists and musicians that came here and the delicious traditional cuisine...which we had ample opportunity to try! A tour we will definitely recommend to our friends and family!"
Lou Rossi - USA
By selecting BUY AS A GIFT, you can purchase this tour as a gift for someone you care for. You will receive a gift card voucher that then can be redeemed by the person/people who will enjoy the tour.Date and Time are values that cannot be selected at the moment. You will in fact receive a gift card voucher with instructions on how to redeem the tour and then select date and time.You can create a shopping cart with multiple tours as gift cards. You may not compose a shopping cart of gift cards and actual tours with date and time.This option can also be used as an opportunity to book a tour open-dated for yourself, in case you are still in the pre-planning phase of your trip.For more information please read here.