Private Carrara Marble Quarry Tour
LivTours Private Carrara Marble Quarry Tour is an exciting, adventure-packed day trip that offers a 360-degree overview of the marble that was so popular during the Renaissance. This experience will take you to the Marble Quarries of Carrara via Land Rover, making it a perfect family activity! Enjoy the thrill of this action-filled day at the quarries with your local expert guide who will tell you the details about Michelangelo’s favorite materials. This is a highly visual experience that is perfect for any art lover!
This truly unique experience is a fantastic alternative for families or history lovers who are staying in Florence and are curious to see a different side of Italy – a more adventurous one! Once in your Land Rover, your guide will take you up a bumpy ride to the quarry. With an up-close view, you will soon understand that this is no ordinary tour, this is an experience. Enjoy the stunning views as you drive into man-made marble caves and along scenic cliffs.
Pack your cameras for this exciting adventure!
- Experience an active marble quarry site via Land Rover - a true Italian adventure
- Learn all about Carrara marble, Michelangelo's raw material, where & how it is mined
- Enjoy a Land Rover ride in the Apuan Alps with breathtaking views & amazing heights
- Take Carrara & Carrara marble with a private tour guide
- Learn about 2000 years of history in one adventure filled Tuscan afternoon
Exclusive private Tours and Experiences. Also offered in Spanish, French, Portuguese, Swedish and Russian
Our prices always include tickets and reservations fees (no waiting in lines!)
Our tour guides and staff are selected experts and speak perfect English
Easy to book and prepay your tours with our secure payment system
Eco-sustainable tourism, designed to respect and support local culture, art and traditions
Your LivTours Private Carrara Marble Quarry Tour starts when you meet your expert guide in Carrara, a village in the Alps located in northern Tuscany. Your guide will meet you in a Land Rover as you experience the adventure of an uphill ride, take time to reflect on the gorgeous valley scenery below. We already know that true art is not for the faint of heart, but the rocky quarry roads drive that point home as you realize the enormous effort put into just getting the raw product. No wonder Michelangelo used a discarded piece of marble, albeit a big one, to carve The David!
A massive mountainous quarry, entirely made of the famous grey-veined Carrara marble leaves you awe-struck with the realization that this is the building material of the great Roman Empire. This is the raw material of more epic and older masterpieces that Michelangelo’s David such as Rome’s Pantheon, Trajan’s column, and countless more. These quarries have been in use since Roman times and nearly 2000 years of art, architecture, and sculpture, and now is your chance to partake in that rich history!
Your guide will tell you stories that run the gamut of ancient Romans all the way to Renaissance greats like Michelangelo and Baroque geniuses such as Gian Lorenzo Bernini. These are the artists who made Italy the classical art capital of the world and this is the marble that helped them achieve their goals!
VISIT AN ACTIVE MARBLE QUARRY | THE ULTIMATE ADVENTURE
This Carrara Marble tour spares no expense when it comes to authenticity, as this is a functioning quarry you should expect to see crews digging deep into man-made caves for marble. Here you will learn about the contribution which Carrara marble has made not only to the world of art but also to the world of Italian oil. Your private guide will share with you the stories from this mountain filled with 19 miles of marble.
The 2,000-year-old story of Carrara marble is not only filled with romantic tales of legendary sculptures and landscape beauty but a laborious effort that goes into extracting marble from the quarries and the local feuds which have ruled this area for generations. Find out the inside scoop on who holds the fortunes to the Carrara mines, about their clientele from past and present!
The views alone from the Apuan Mountains, an Italian mountain range in northern Italy not to be confused with the similarly named Alps, down across Tuscany are worth a visit alone. The opposing visual forces of the active mining area behind you, with the beauty of nature is simply a spectacular view like no other.
Come join us for a day of adventure and make memories to last a lifetime!
Once your tour is over, your private tour guide will take you back to your meeting spot to finish off your ultimate Italian adventure.
UPGRADE YOUR TOUR & ADD THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS
Here are three options that you can add to your Carrara Marble adventure:
- ADD round-trip transfer from your accommodation in luxury vehicles with a private chauffeur. We serve any area along the Tuscan coast, Florence and surrounding, and Siena and surrounding.
- ADD free time in Lucca and a private chauffeur: get picked up directly at your accommodation and get time to explore Lucca on your own. There will be time for lunch too (not included in price).
- ADD a guided tour of Lucca and a light lunch (included) of local flavors in the beautiful marble quarry town of Colonnata. This option also includes a transfer from Lucca to Colonnata, so you can meet your guide directly in Lucca. Please note that you will then end the experience in Carrara (train station available).
Get super VIP treatment by adding a “full day chauffeur” and “guided tour of Lucca and light lunch” simultaneously.
- See where Michelangelo got his marble
- Explore Carrara mines via 4-wheel drive
- Fully guided experience
- Option to add Luca tour with lunch
- Due to these unprecedented times and ongoing safety and regulation changes, some sites may have limited accessibility if the venue can not guarantee social distancing which may lead to unforeseen tour modifications. Thank you for your understanding.
- LivTours’ is and always has been based on sustainable travel and especially in these new times, we are proud to be at the forefront of innovation, change, and challenges that are presented to us during this post-pandemic time. At the moment, due to Covid-19 safety regulations, museums and sites visited on this tour require wearing a mask while on site. Please bring one for every participant over 6 years of age.
When you book a LivTours Private Tour or Experience, you are guaranteed a dedicated, expert guide that allows you the flexibility to start your tour at a time which is convenient for you, making planning easy. Our private tours ensure that you will get a tailored experience to meet all your needs so we go at your pace, perfect for families with younger children, elderly, or individuals with accessibility needs. Please be advised that all private tours begin at a base price starting at two people*. Prices are inclusive of entry tickets where applicable.
*Our Tuscan motorcycle tour and some Ferrari private experiences are inclusive of one person only.
"The Carrara Marble Quarry, where Michaelangelo (and many others) went to get the marble slabs that then became the scupture masterpieces that we know, is a fascinating place. The chance to visit the Quarry, see how they cut the marble from the sides of the mountains and then transport these gigantic stones is extremely interesting and for both my husband and myself, an experience we won't soon forget. Thank you LivItaly for offering such a creative and fascinating tour!"
Marilyn - Australia
By selecting BUY AS A GIFT, you can purchase this tour as a gift for someone you care for. You will receive a gift card voucher that then can be redeemed by the person/people who will enjoy the tour.Date and Time are values that cannot be selected at the moment. You will in fact receive a gift card voucher with instructions on how to redeem the tour and then select date and time.You can create a shopping cart with multiple tours as gift cards. You may not compose a shopping cart of gift cards and actual tours with date and time.This option can also be used as an opportunity to book a tour open-dated for yourself, in case you are still in the pre-planning phase of your trip.For more information please read here.