Private Montmarte Tour | From Le Moulin Rouge to Sacré-Cœur
Winding cobblestone streets. Artists painting outdoors. Fresh-baked baguettes. These are just a few of the sights and smells you’ll experience on a LivTours Private Montmartre Tour. From Le Moulin Rouge to the Sacré-Cœur, our expert guides will take you on a leisurely stroll up this northern hill stopping along the way to view the lovely vineyards, lively squares, and former Impressionists’ homes. With LivTours, you’ll get to experience all the charms this bohemian district has to offer at a relaxed pace.
Experience this charming neighborhood with an expert local guide by your side, who will fill your tour with anecdotes, history, and Parisian tales of art for a fun-filled tour of one of the most popular neighborhoods in Paris.
- Stand in front of the inspirational site of countless art – the iconic Moulin Rouge
- Stroll past historic apartments where Picasso, Renoir, and Van Gogh once lived
- Soak in the artistic ambiance of the photogenic Place du Tertre
- Taste a crunchy baguette in one of Montmartre’s celebrated boulangeries
- Take plenty of selfies by the sublime Sacré-Cœur Basilica & its hilltop view
Exclusive private Tours and Experiences. Also offered in Spanish, French, Portuguese, Swedish and Russian
Our prices always include tickets and reservations fees (no waiting in lines!)
Our tour guides and staff are selected experts and speak perfect English
Easy to book and prepay your tours with our secure payment system
Eco-sustainable tourism, designed to respect and support local culture, art and traditions
Your LivTours Private Montmartre Tour begins outside the legendary Moulin Rouge windmill. Built in 1889, the same year as Paris’ World Fair Expo, this famed eye-catching cabaret shares a birth year with the Eiffel Tower and has become a symbol of Montmartre. Home to the risqué cancan dance, Le Moulin Rouge has been delighting visitors for over 130 years with its Vegas-like theatrics and sumptuous interior.
As you turn towards Montmartre’s cobblestone streets, you will soon notice the village-like ambiance of this distinct neighborhood. This is especially true as you see the shops along the Rue des Martyrs, which legend has it was the very street the first bishop of Paris was crucified. Your LivTours guide will also draw your attention to Montmartre’s historic vineyard landscape, and the centuries’ old history behind some of the winemakers in the area. See a 100-year-old winery which is known throughout France for its autumn festival.
Interestingly, Montmartre was initially a tax-free haven separated from Paris by physical borders. This “outsider status” paired with cheaper rents attracted countless artists over centuries. On your LivTours Montmartre Tour, you will have plenty of time to take pictures by the former homes of artists such as Van Gogh, Renoir and Picasso. You will also have the chance to stop by Montmartre’s oldest cabaret – Au Lapin Agile. Founded in 1860, Au Lapin Agile frequently hosted famous artists such as such as Edith Piaf and inspired paintings by the likes of Picasso and Utrillo. Thankfully, Montmartre’s artistic spirit isn’t just in the past! Keep your eyes peeled for contemporary painters and musicians entertaining guests in the Amélie-featured Cafe des Deux Moulins.
Before reaching Montmartre’s summit and the pure white Sacré-Cœur, enjoy a delicious slice of fresh-baked bread from one of Montmartre’s highly awarded bakeries. After loading up on crunchy carbs, it’s time to head up to Montmartre’s most famous church and enjoy unforgettable views of the Paris skyline. Although your LivTours adventure ends here, feel free to walk inside Sacré-Cœur after you have taken your requisite selfies.
Along with the Eiffel Tower, the Sacré-Cœur is one of the easiest landmarks to spot in Paris. Although both structures were built in the late 1800s, it took 40 years to complete Sacré-Cœur compared with two years for the Eiffel Tower. From the outside, your LivTours guide will explain why the church is called the “meringue”. Take a close look at the church’s Château-Landon stone exterior, a remarkable work of architecture and enjoy one of the most beloved structures in Paris.
- Moulin Rouge windmill
- Guided walk through Montmartre
- Former homes of Van Gogh, Renoir and Picasso
- Au Lapin Agile
- Cafe des Deux Moulins
- Fresh French bread tasting
- Sacré-Cœur (from outside)
- Comfortable walking shoes recommended.
- Places of worship have strict dress code requirements for entry. All participants are required to have shoulders and knees covered (no tank tops or short dresses) to enter.
- Due to these unprecedented times and ongoing safety and regulation changes, some sites may have limited accessibility if the venue can not guarantee social distancing which may lead to unforeseen tour modifications. Thank you for your understanding.
- LivTours’ is and always has been based on sustainable travel and especially in these new times, we are proud to be at the forefront of innovation, change, and challenges that are presented to us during this post-pandemic time. At the moment, due to Covid-19 safety regulations, museums and sites visited on this tour require wearing a mask while on site. Please bring one for every participant over 6 years of age.
When you book a LivTours Private Tour or Experience, you are guaranteed a dedicated, expert guide that allows you the flexibility to start your tour at a time which is convenient for you, making planning easy. Our private tours ensure that you will get a tailored experience to meet all your needs so we go at your pace, perfect for families with younger children, elderly, or individuals with accessibility needs. Please be advised that all private tours begin at a base price starting at two people. Prices are inclusive of entry tickets where applicable.
Make your day even more unique and comfortable by upgrading your tour with a customizable LivTours optional add on!
"This is our second visit to Paris. We had wandered through the Montmarte area but decided, this time, to do it again with a guide. We were so pleased with our choice of the LivTours Montmarte tour. Our guide, Sherri, was superb. A native of Paris who had studied abroad so her English was perfect. She shared her love and passion for Paris and for this particular area and, of course, the church of Sacré-Cœur with its incredible view of the entire city is just breathtaking. We strongly recommend this fascinating tour!"
Ester - USA