Best Sistine Chapel Early Morning Viewing | Wednesday’s Private Vatican Tour
Enjoy an early Wednesday morning private tour of the Vatican Museums with an expert guide. Admire the majestic work of Michelangelo in the Sistine Chapel, and the magnificent Raphael Rooms without the usual crowds.
The Papal Audience is held on a Wednesday morning, so there is no access to St Peter’s Basilica from the Sistine Chapel, this means far fewer people visit on Wednesday morning, allowing you to enjoy a far more private and relaxed viewing experience of the Sistine Chapel, Raphael Rooms and the world-famous treasure trove of art and antiquities housed inside the halls and galleries of the palatial Vatican Museums.
- Enjoy early morning entry to the Vatican Museums with your private guide
- Admire Michelangelo’s magnificent frescoes in the Sistine Chapel
- See the amazing Raphael Rooms
- Explore other highlights of the Museums like the Laocoön & Apollo Belvedere
- End at the Pinacoteca with masterpieces by Raphael, Leonardo and Caravaggio
Exclusive private Tours and Experiences. Also offered in Spanish, French, Portuguese, Swedish and Russian
Our prices always include tickets and reservations fees (no waiting in lines!)
Our tour guides and staff are selected experts and speak perfect English
Easy to book and prepay your tours with our secure payment system
Eco-sustainable tourism, designed to respect and support local culture, art and traditions
Enjoy a private early morning tour of the Vatican Museums, with an expert guide, and be amongst the first to enjoy the Sistine Chapel and Raphael Rooms.
Explore the vast Vatican Palaces once home to the Popes – now a museum housing some of the most precious antiquities in the world – including the Apollo Belvedere and the Laocoon which inspired Michelangelo. See Nero’s vast bathtub, and statues of ancient emperors, empresses, gods, and heroes.
Walk through the Galleries of Tapestries, designed by Raphael, and the Maps – stunning and incredibly accurate frescoed maps of Italy dating to the 17th century and edged with gold leaf.
Next, you’ll enter the Raphael Rooms, the private apartments of the Warrior Pope Julius II. It was he who commissioned Raphael to paint these rooms, and at the same time Michelangelo to paint the Sistine Chapel. This created their famous rivalry and inspired the creation of some of the greatest art of all time. See the famous School of Athens and the Disputa in peace and quiet, and learn about the life of the popular Raphael.
Then it is time to visit the Sistine Chapel. Be among the first visitors of the day to step inside one of the great wonders of the world and stand in awe and wonder beneath the inspiring, magnificent frescoes by Michelangelo.
Your guide will explain the stories on the Ceiling, painted by Michelangelo when he was just 33. It was backbreaking work that took him four years. You’ll see for yourself the incredible painting of God creating Adam – truly breathtaking. Then, admire the Last Judgement, filled with literally hundreds of muscular figures – saints and sinners, with the mighty figure of Christ towering above all, completed by Michelangelo in his sixties. In all, he spent a decade of his life painting in the Sistine Chapel!
After plenty of time to soak it all in, your guide will show you to the exquisite collection of paintings in the Pinacoteca. A collection that includes masterpieces by Leonardo, Raphael, and Caravaggio.
A Wednesday morning is the best day to visit the Vatican Museums because the Pope holds his weekly Audience in St Peter’s Square. This means access to the Basilica from the Museums is blocked off, and so there are far fewer visitors to the Museums.
For those who want to wait, you may wish to have lunch in the Vatican Museums restaurant after your guided tour, and visit the Basilica in the afternoon.
- Morning entry to the Vatican Museums
- Private tour with an expert guide
- See the Sistine Chapel & Raphael Rooms
- Pinecone Courtyard & Octagonal Courtyard
- Galleries of the Candelabra, Tapestries & Maps
- On Wednesday morning St. Peter’s Basilica is closed, which means less crowds, but also that you will not be able to access the Basilica until after the tour ends.
- Places of worship have strict dress code requirements for entry. All participants are required to have shoulders and knees covered (no tank tops or short dresses) to enter.
- Vatican management maintains the right to delay the opening of the Sistine Chapel for religious reasons, in this case the guide will modify the itinerary and extend your visit of the museums to ensure you make the most of your time before access to the Sistine Chapel is permitted.
- There is no photography allowed in the Sistine chapel, and all other artwork can only be photographed without flash.
- Please be aware that the Sistine Chapel is a Holy Place and talking during your visit inside is strictly forbidden, therefore your guide will give you an explanation of the Sistine Chapel beforehand during your tour, in order to give you a comprehensive explanation before entering the chapel.
- Backpacks are not permitted in the Museum.
LivTours’ group size of max 6 participants is and always has been based on sustainable travel, and we are proud to be at the forefront of change and innovation in the industry. LivTours is committed to providing travelers with truly sustainable tours with the lowest possible environmental impact, all while supporting the local industries and people of each unique destination. To learn more about how you can actively support sustainable tourism and how LivTours is contributing, click here.
When you book a LivTours Private Tour or Experience, you are guaranteed a dedicated, expert guide that allows you the flexibility to start your tour at a time which is convenient for you, making planning easy. Our private tours ensure that you will get a tailored experience to meet all your needs so we go at your pace, perfect for families with younger children, elderly, or individuals with accessibility needs. Please be advised that all private tours begin at a base price starting at two people*. Prices are inclusive of entry tickets where applicable. *Some Ferrari private experiences are inclusive of one person only.
Make your day even more unique and comfortable by upgrading your tour with a customizable LivTours optional add on!
By selecting Choose Dates Later / Buy as Gift at booking, any tour can be purchased without fixed dates. This is the perfect option if you want to purchase your tour as a gift for a loved one, or if you are in the pre-planning phase of your vacation. After booking, you will receive a Travel Voucher Code and full instructions on how to schedule your tours when ready. Once your travel plans are confirmed, you can easily use the Travel Voucher Code on the LivTours website to formally schedule your tours. You can find out more here.